last spring we had a visitor who is a direct descendant of William Czar
Bradley. He was delighted to be able to see and walk through his ancestor’s law
office. His guide told him of the need for repairs to the building and in
return William Bradley Ferris gave us a generous donation to be used as we saw
necessary for the Bradley Law Office. Our President, Ruth Grandy presented the
society with another large donation.
our last newsletter we appealed to our members for a donation to help pay for
the serious repair work needed to stabilize the foundation of the Bradley Law
Office. Through the donations of Alma Beals, Allison and David Dean, Barbara
Jones, Carole and Earle Milbery and Nellie and Burt Young the wonderful
additional sum of $1,700.00 was raised. We have received a total $6,700.00 thus
far in gifts to help us complete the work needed. This has gone a long way
toward paying the expenses of replacing foundation sills and clapboards on the
aren’t done yet. Recently our preservationist carpenter looked at the south
side of the building, which we thought was fairly stable and discovered that 28
feet of that sill and clapboards need replacing. When that work is completed in
the spring of 2017, we will treat the building for suspected powder post
beetles. Then the entire exterior of the law office will be scraped to remove
the lead paint and new paint will be applied. We have had an estimate for the
scraping and painting at a bit over $10,000.00. We are looking for grants that
will help us in funding this huge expense for our little society. In the
meantime, we humbly thank all of you who have considered this project worthy of
with responses to our financial plea to our members, we are so very grateful to
Dan Axtell and Kathy Lisai. Dan is our Treasurer and computer guru. He came to
our rescue when our 12 year old computer crashed a few months ago. Dan
generously donated a new, modern, lighter weight computer; an external hard
drive and a laser printer to our society. He set up the new computer for us and
also worked with the PastPerfect technicians installing an upgraded version of
our data program, PastPerfect v.5, on the new computer, moving all of our files
from the old computer to the new one. Dan, what would we do without you? Thank
you so much.
Lisai, our Registrar, purchased a monitor for the society that allows us to
view as a slide show, photos and videos of our collection that have been saved
to flash drives. This was used in conjunction with the William Czar Bradley
clothing collection presentation at our annual meeting by Racheal Scott, our
Co-Curator. It allowed us to see some of the clothing found in the Bradley Law
Office that was too badly damaged to allow it into our collection for fear of
contamination. Kathy, this opens all kinds of doors for us to show items not
always on display. Thank you again and again.
but not the least, thank you to Don Clark, Grafton; George Chapman,
Westminster; Neil Mettrick, Westminster; Douglas Robinson, S. Acworth, New
Hampshire and Robert Clements, Brattleboro; for their amazing knowledge of
minerals and their generosity in helping us to identify a collection of
minerals in our collection. Neil, Douglas and Robert are members of the Brattleboro
Mineral Club. We discovered some fossils and possible Indian artifacts in the
boxes. Thank you to all of our members for their continuing support and
TO OUR COLLECTION
Caitlin Fox: 1864 Court Schedule
ledger from Judge Goodhue of Westminster, a student’s sketchbook that belonged
to Martha E. Goodhue, later married to Reuben Miller.
David Wright Estate: interior wood
paneled door, identified by handwriting on the door panel as coming from the
Westminster (Cumberland County) Court House, signed by E. A. Hills, 1881; Hills
was a former owner of the house where the door was found.
Barbara Greenough: a collection of
newspaper clippings regarding Westminster resident Delores (Wettach) Williams,
her career as a model and marriage to ball player Ted Williams.
Robert and Patricia
A collection of 17 letters from Harriet Blanchard of Westminster to her sister
Charlotte Wainright of Roxbury, Massachusetts, circa 1830s; 1 letter from E.
Gilbert to Mrs. P. Clark; 2 black and white photos: Sabin’s Covered Bridge and
covered bridge near Gage’s basket factory; 1 label for maple syrup from S. H.
Minard; Collection of pamphlets: Sermon by Rev. Pliny H. White, “Congregational
Church, Westminster, Vermont, It’s Pastors and Native Ministers”, “Ministers
and Churches of Vermont, A Review”, “Alfred Stevens’ a Memorial”, “Election
Sermon” by Thomas Skeel; Magazine “Journal and Advertiser, 1900”; Booklet,
“Confession of Faith, Westminster East Parish” with a catalog of members;
Label, “Pure Apple Juice, Minard Farms; 1861; Passbook recording subscriptions
to the Westminster West Parish Church; Booklet with extracts from the minutes
of the Congregational Convention at Westminster 1820; Bill of Sale from “B. F.
Atcherson, Carriages and Sleighs”; Order for the Westminster Paper Company,
1897; Postcard with insurance assessment by D. C. Wright; Booklet, “Revised By
Laws of Maple Grove Grange”; Bill of Sale for horses by Arthur and H. M.
Wilcox; Post Office receipt for registered letter, Westminster West; Bill of
Sale, Henry Wilcox to W. S. Dunham; Receipt from the Valley Creamery
Association to Arthur Wilcox and G. C. Wright, 1858; Bill of Sale from A. P.
Ranney to A. J. Wilcox, 1895; Bill of Sale from O. J. Ranney, Florist to Arthur
from the Valley Creamery Association to A. Wilcox, 1889; Receipt from G. H.
Walker to H. M. Wilcox,
Receipt from S. P. Fenn & Co. to Mr. Wilcox, 1888; Receipt from the
Westminster Saw Mill to A. Wilcox, 1889; Receipt from Westminster Saw Mill
bought from A. Wilcox, 1889; Receipt from A. P. Ranney to A. Wilcox, 1896;
Concert program, Union Hall, Bellows
Falls, 1897” Booklet, “Memorial Address for Rev. Pliny H. White”; Receipt from
the Zeno Bakery to the Westminster Grange, 1922; Yankee Magazine clipping,
regarding slavery in Vermont, 1994; Selectmen’s, Overseer’s & Auditors’
Report, Westminster, Vermont, 1874; Annual Report of the New England Kurn
Hattin Homes, 1905; Transcript from the Vermont Phoenix, 1901 regarding the W.
E. Wellman fire; Transcript of an audio tape from the Westminster West Oral
History Project; Transcript and follow up from the Brattleboro Reformer
regarding fire in Westminster West, 1917.
Handmade wax fruit and vegetables, made by Mary L. (Watkins) Farr of
Westminster, Vermont, circa 1860s, in sealed glass dome; Handmade child’s dress
made by Mary L. (Watkins) Farr for her son, Willis V. Farr; Book “Watkins: a
Beginning Genealogy” by Jayne E. Bickford.
Richard Michelman: A handwritten
letter and envelope dated 1848 from James D. Butler to Sylvester Judd regarding
the settling of the town of Westminster, Vermont, 2 burl wood contemporary
frames and archival framing for embroidery and advertising tissue from the
Sarah Bradley collection in the Wm. C. Bradley Law Office.
Ann & Susie
Large framed oil portrait of Reverend Sylvester Sage; Provenance bill of sale
and antique directory for portrait of Sage; Booklet “A Sermon Preached in
Westminster, Vermont” by Rev. Pliny H. White.
Some of the items that had been on long term loan from the Westminster East
Parish were made gifts to the Westminster Historical Society: Piece of
Confederate currency; Piece of Continental currency; Newspaper, Bellows Falls
Intelligencer, 1827; Land deed, 13 Nov.1872 to Jonathan Atwater Phippen from
Nathaniel Robinson; Journal of U. S. Representatives; Holy Bible; Book,
“Appendix to Congressional Globe, 1855, used as a scrapbook by L. F. Ward for
the Powers Institute, Bernardston, Mass.; Book, Powers Institute Phi Kappa
Society record book; Book, Powers Institute bills for tuition; Ledger of
Booklet, Westminster School Report, 1793; Booklet, “Westminster Town Report”,
1906; Book that
to Moses Fisher, 1781; Book, dictionary that tradition says was used in Tory
Tavern; Book, Compendium of Geology: Document, list of men from Westminster,
Vt, drafted into the Civil War; Document, “Protestant Episcopal Church formed
by Lot Hall”; Document, Contract to build Cumberland County Court House in Westminster,
Vermont; Document, original verse written by an eye witness to the shooting of
William French; Document, John Norton’s commission to Lieutenant; Document,
describing Medad Wright’s settlement in Westminster, Vt.; Document, John
Norton’s appointment as Assistant Assessor of Lands, 1798; Document, “Warning
to Meet to see if District #10 will have a School”, 1824; Document, John
Norton’s discharge as Assistant Assessor of Lands; Document, Anne Norton’s last
will and testament, dated 30 October 1813; Document, Commissioner’s paper
signed by Jonathan Phippen; Collection of porcelain dinnerware; Collection of
American Indian implements and arrowheads; Stone found in Fullam pasture on old
brick yard; Collection of American Indian tomahawks, war points, hunting heads
and pottery shards; Pitcher from set at
Old Tory tavern; Glass pane from Trinity Church steeple, New York City;
Collection of minerals, Collection of bird eggs; Grain painted case; Early
Drum; Fragment from pulpit of first Westminster church (Meeting House); Two
fire buckets; Miniature of Cumberland County Court House; Chopping knife from
Tory Tavern; Sampler; Fragments from William French’s saddle and trappings;
Doily knit by Martha Miller in her 99th year; Pair mittens, knit by
Martha Miller in her 101st year; Ink well, Pair of spectacles in
case; 2 pair shoe buckles; Single shoe buckle; 2 pen knives; Handmade child’s
shoe; 2 tortoise shell combs; Ink set; 2 vegetable scrapers; Box of nails from
Tory Tavern; Child’s corset; Pair handmade shears; Fragment of wood from
Cumberland County Court House; Pew door from first Westminster church (Meeting
House); Board from Cumberland County Court House that tradition says has a
bullet hole in it; Service flag; Tile from Tory Tavern; Tile from Cumberland
County Court House; Tin serving tray; 2 dinner plates with blue designs;
Sandwich glass decanter; Small wood rocking chair; Round tip-top table; 2
lanterns; 2 foot warmers; 1 wood staff with ball end.
Collected by Staff: Miscellaneous
newspapers, maps and articles, Collection of the newspaper “Westminster
If you are
reading this, please send a quick email to email@example.com with the word YES
in the subject line. That way we will know if it is worthwhile to create this
newsletter twice a year. We have a feeling that very few of our members even
open the envelope it is mailed in. Thank
when the 1790 Vermont Census was published it revealed that Westminster had
1,601 inhabitants; Rockingham had 1,235; Brattleborough,1,589; Dummerston,
1,501; and Putney had 1,848. It is amazing to realize that Westminster and
Putney had more residents than Brattleborough. Guilford had the most
inhabitants at a count of 2,432. Considering that number, read on.
eight years earlier in 1782, “At a Town Meeting holden in Guilford, This 13th
Day of March 1782,
Voted. First, as the opinion of this town, that
there is a Treaty entered into with the British; as appears by a printed
hand-bill, and other corrobatory circumstances.
2nd As our Opinion, that the Territory, called The New Hampshire Grants, justly
owe their Allegiance to the State of NEW
3rd That it is the Opinion of this
Meeting, that it is their Duty to withdraw all allegiance or Obedience from the State or authority
4th That it is the opinion of this
Meeting, that we petition TO HIS EXCELLENCY The GOVERNOR of the State of NEW
YORK to appoint CIVIL, and MILITARY Officers IN this county, and establish
CIVIL Government under the authority of the State of NEW YORK, till the above
disputes are settled by Congress.
5 To choose a committee of three
persons to correspond with other commitees,(sic) and make return of their
doings, the said persons chosen.
A True Coppy(sic)
Pr me Davis Walsworth Jotham
of words are as they appear in the document. These records were found at http://digitalvermont.org/items/show/239 and http://digitalvermont.org/items/show/259 being documents held by the Vermont
Historical Society, digitized them and posted on the website Digital Vermont.)
THANK YOU TO OUR BUSINESS MEMBERS:
Auto Service and University of Vermont